20 responses

1. Mutant Zebra
    January 4, 2013

Not only the Irish newspapers, also RTE have completely lost the plot in terms of the Internet. They are beating around a dead bush about copyright issues and using that as an excuse to use obsolete tech and lack of bandwidth/capacity to drip feed their content online. What about all these wonderful people, the diaspora? Or, perhaps we don’t want them to read, hear and see what’s going on in Ireland, only give us their money.

2. steve white
    January 5, 2013

good post, the issue of front page versus linking direct is important, how do the independent lose revenue when they have a video ad on eery page you clikc into from outside, if we don’t link direct it will make it very hard to find anything on newspaper websites, the irish times/hugh linehan has been very careful not to criticise the particular actions of the NLI, the Irish Times doesn’t charge for links it pays another company to charge for them.

3. de fan
    January 5, 2013

By this, when I go to the barbers pick up the newspaper which I have not paid for then turn it over to the sports section bypassing the front page I have infringed the copyright.
    If i then join in a discussion about a match previewed in that paper this would also be an infringement.
    the availability of the newspaper in print or on the internet must be the responsibility of the papers themselfs.
    what a load of nonsence I think it has so many holes in its logic it would be laughed out of court.

• Bock
      January 5, 2013

I think the barber might have breached copyright by leaving the paper open to the article instead of making you go through the front page. In addition, if you recommended it to anyone, you really should fess up and pay the licence fee.

4. Ronwan
    January 5, 2013

I used the local paper to soak up a drop of oil off the floor at work, I inadvertently left it open on the floor while I went for a quick slash. Anyone could have seen it. Am I a cunt too?

5. jake
    January 5, 2013

I read a good article in an Irish news paper yesterday. I cannot tell you what the article was about because of copy right. I cannot tell you the paper it was in, again because of copy right. But the article was very good. I recommend every one should read it.

• Bock
      January 5, 2013

Because you said it was an Irish paper, I’m afraid you’ve breached copyright. Pay up.

6. steve white
    January 5, 2013

the music licensing agency probably charge barbers to play music/radio, so why not newspapers

• Bock
      January 5, 2013

That would certainly make sense if a website was reproducing content, but I don’t believe IMRO charge barbers for recommending music to their customers.

7. steve white
    January 5, 2013

yeah i was veering off the point there,straining the analogy this about links

8. journeymans
    January 6, 2013

They’re either desperate to show cause for their existence or they’re luddites.

9. Paul Diver
    January 7, 2013

It’s insane. These people are clearly nuts.

Here is a good read describing how newspapers are writing controversial articles and making a killing from advertising.

They can’t have it both ways. Idiots

10. backtowork
    January 7, 2013

i think journeyman nailed it, this is just some idiot trying to justify their position

its like a bouncer stopping an ordinary joe soap because he is just about to let in 5 of his scumbag mates

11. Mick
    January 7, 2013

It’s not completely without precedent. If you go to http://kkk.forestry-fund.com you are obliged to agree to their Ts&Cs before you can access the content. Under the section ‘Trademarks, Copyright and use’ it explicitly states that ‘no one may link any other website to this website, without the prior written consent of the Company.

Their ‘Who We Are’ page indicates their relevance to Ireland, and I do wonder how any infringement would stand up in a court of law?

12. Mick
    January 7, 2013

Jeez, that kkk actually works as a live link! sorry Bock – you might want to edit the comment!

13. Mick Regan
    January 7, 2013

Not sure if last comment went through..?

Sorry Bock, kkk seems to work as a link! you might want to edit.

• Bock
      January 7, 2013

Nobody can impose terms and conditions on you without your agreement. That particular thing has to do with using their website but it can’t be applied to the whole world. A link is not copyright.

14. Limerick’s Life
    January 7, 2013

A few days ago I saw someone else who was sent an email for sharing a link to an Irish newspaper, I had at first thought it was a joke.
    If someone shared my link I would be thrilled, free advertising.

• Bock
      January 7, 2013

It’s bullshit and they know it, even if they’re not mature enough to admit it.